The Student Publication of Keystone

The Keynote

The Student Publication of Keystone

The Keynote

The Student Publication of Keystone

The Keynote

Financial Toxicity in Cancer

Photo Credit: Pixabay

In a world where treatments for cancer are steadily increasing in price along with disparities in wealth, many people find themselves unable to pay for their cancer treatment. Cancer is an indiscriminate disease. Unfortunately, the inability to pay for treatment often leaves patients and their families stranded. After many years of researching the issue, economists and medical professionals still do not have a definite answer to the important question of what can be done to solve the problem of financial toxicity in cancer.

Along with several other treatments, treatments for chronic myeloid leukemia have increased drastically (with some researchers claiming that this number is $8500 per year). It has become increasingly difficult for individuals of certain socioeconomic statuses to afford these costly cancer treatments. Carrera et al. observe this fact. It is important to understand that market availability does not correlate with patient availability—whether a drug is largely produced does not simply mean that it is available for a patient to purchase at an affordable price. Some of these treatments are covered by programs such as Medicare, which covers antineoplastic agents, or cancer drugs, under Part D. However, the coverage is not nearly enough to cover the whole cost of cancer treatments. 

Throughout the literature pertaining to this issue, a common theme exists: the need for consideration at a patient level. Patients are often not looked at as individuals when their coverage is evaluated. What insurance companies fail to consider, however, is the fact that every patient has their own unique experience that should be acknowledged and understood. Other perspectives include the need for more patient “safety nets” to keep the issue of financial toxicity from happening in the first place.

Still, this is easier said than done. Often, in metastatic cancers, discussion about the price of treatment is taboo, especially since many of the patients are in palliative care. The taboo stems from the fact that the foremost responsibility of a physician is to provide treatment, and discussion of treatment may result in the physician not being able to do their job fully. Therefore, there is a need to break that barrier between the patient and their doctor.

In summary, the escalating costs of cancer treatments, notably for chronic myeloid leukemia, contribute to widespread financial toxicity, particularly affecting individuals of certain socioeconomic statuses. Despite partial coverage by programs like Medicare, the insufficiency of existing support underscores the need for personalized solutions and robust patient safety nets. Breaking the taboo surrounding treatment cost discussions, especially in palliative care, is crucial for fostering open communication and addressing the complex challenge of financial toxicity in cancer.