The Student Publication of Keystone

The Keynote

The Student Publication of Keystone

The Keynote

The Student Publication of Keystone

The Keynote

Who’s Taylor Swift Anyway? The Taylor Swift Phenomena.

For the past 19 years, Taylor Swift has been making music of every genre, dazzling fans across the world, and writing lyrics that her loyal listeners can deeply connect to. 

At 16 years old, Taylor Swift followed her first song and hit single, “Tim McGraw” with Taylor Swift, her debut album. She charmed people with her country twang and amazed them by being the first female country artist to write and/or co-write every song on their debut album. 

Just a year later, Swift artistically combined pop and country music in her second album, Fearless. Some of her most popular songs to this day come from Fearless, including “Love Story” and “You Belong With Me”, for how they highlight the feelings of a teenager who just wants to find love.

Speak Now, one of Swift’s most popular albums, was mainly self-written. It shares songs about her love stories with John Mayer, Taylor Lautner, Joe Jonas, and all the things she wanted to tell them but never could. 

1989, named after the year she was born, is probably the most popular Taylor Swift album of all time. It includes the world-known “Shake It Off” and “Blank Space,” each with millions of streams on Spotify. 

After a year in the dark due to public scandals, Swift came back with Reputation, which brought her back in the best way possible. 

Swift excited and inspired many of her fans with Lover, the complete opposite of Reputation, came out in 2019, and was filled with feelings of love and lyrics that feel like you are lying down on fluffy pink clouds.

When COVID-19 hit, Taylor Swift released two surprise albums, folklore and evermore. She caressed her beloved Swifties with a complicated love triangle between James, August, and Betty, and being a high schooler so magically in love with someone. folklore’s sister album, evermore, created a lost in the woods type of escape with themes of love, nostalgia, and loss. 

Taylor Swift’s most recent album, Midnights, takes her fans on the journeys of 13 sleepless nights in her life, intriguing her ”Dear Readers” with stories of “Antiheroes” by day and “Bejeweled” nights. 

That’s not to say there haven’t been scandals. The famous VMA incident with Kanye West claiming Beyoncé was better than Swift led to a lot of speculation of whether she was a good artist or not. And we all remember National Snake Day, Swift’s “favorite day of the year”, which was caused by the 2016 incident with West using Taylor Swift’s name in a song, leading Swift to get canceled because of backlash on the Internet led by Kim Kardashian calling Swift a snake and saying that Taylor Swift gave consent to Kanye West to use her name with a series of fake videos. There was all the trouble with Scooter Braun and Scott Borrchetta not giving her back her masters and rights to own her own music, which led her on a journey to re-record her first 6 albums and take on full ownership of them starting in 2021. 

But would all the hate pushed into Swift’s face explain why millions of people travel all over the world to see her face from the nosebleed section of a stadium? Would that explain why her fan base is one of the biggest in the world? Would that explain her dedication, her passion, her loyalty to her fans and her beloved music? How she created a one-woman empire and became one of the most successful people on this planet while trying as hard as she could to be humble about it? How she stayed loyal to her roots but never backed down to a challenge? 

Taylor Swift isn’t perfect, no. She’s made mistakes. But they were mistakes that she acknowledged. She apologized when she was wrong and moved on when she was in the right and things weren’t working out. She’s not perfect, she’s human. A human that embraces herself in the best way possible. A human that writes lyrics that have the ability to relate to anyone at any point in their life. A human that made girls feel like they could be anything they wanted to be in a world where they are considered to never do as much as men. Taylor Swift isn’t perfect in her eyes, but in her fans eyes? She’s the most amazing person in the universe. 

So thank you Taylor, for all the changes you have made in this world. And thank you to my reader for taking the time to read this article. I hope I’ve convinced you to become a Swiftie. 

View Comments (1)

Comments (1)

All The Keynote Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• S

Sakshi MalhotraOct 15, 2023 at 1:07 pm

You’ve made me a swiftie!! Well written Nidhi
    XOXO

Reply